New year, new you!
Bare Envy Laser & Massage is going to improve your life, self-esteem and overall confidence. You’re going to feel like you incite envy when you see yourself bare after we are finished perfecting your image!
Beauty Is Skin Deep
Let’s face it. After the holidays our skin does not exactly have that refreshing glow that we want for spring and summer. It could be from that extra slice of fruitcake or that extra glass of wine causing breakout and inflammation of the skin. This is because what we eat and drink can have a huge effect on our skin and complexion. Let’s explore some mitigation for our skin:
- You can start by reducing your intake of refined sugars and grains. This would mean cutting back on bread, crackers, cereals or desserts made with white flour, any pasta made with white flour, white rice, and rice noodles. Not to mention soda pops, juice, and other sugar-sweetened beverages even if they have sweeteners like cane sugar, maple syrup, honey or agave. The bloodstream absorbs the sugars and quickly increases blood sugar levels which then raises insulin levels, making the androgen hormones overactive. This overactivity contributes to acne development and produces sebum production. It has also been found that low-glycemic diets are associated with reduced sebum and oil production.
- Dairy products can also lead to breakouts and inflammation, especially if you are lactose intolerant. Ice cream, milk, and cheese consumption have been linked to acne flareups. This could be from the hormones or other molecules that are found in milk. Milk is also known to increase insulin levels. Switching to nut-based milk or oat milk can help reduce the negative effects.
- Fast foods and anything saturated with grease is important to avoid because they can also cause inflammation. However, there is some debate on whether or not there is a direct cause and effect relationship between bad skin and greasy, fast foods. Often these items are laden with milk products, refined sugars and saturated in oils. Since acne and breakouts are caused by excess oil and sebum production, it makes sense not to contribute additional oil into our diets.
- Omega-6 fatty acids are another element to steer clear of. Instead, try omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-6 can be found in vegetable oils, including corn, evening primrose seed, safflower, and soybean oils. Avoiding processed foods will reduce your Omega-6 fatty acid intake as well.
- Another treat to avoid is chocolate. Not only does it contain milk, but also refined and processed sugars. There has been an ongoing debate whether chocolate does or does not cause acne and breakouts, but from what we have learned from sugars and milk, it is best to avoid sugar-filled chocolates (like milk chocolates) in order to get the skin you are looking for.
We get it, eating clean is challenging, takes a huge amount of willpower and the results are not instant. Indulging in a spa treatment may be that instant gratification you are seeking, and it is a great treat to reward yourself for eating cleaner. One easy way to have an at-home spa day is to give yourself a DIY facial!
- Start by cleansing your skin, removing any makeup and removing the foundation off your face. Warm water helps to open the pores and remove the dirt from your skin, but hot water will dry your skin out, so be mindful of the temperature. Cream cleansers are the most hydrating, but if you wear a lot of makeup, you might want to use a gel cleanser, a makeup remover, or coconut/jojoba oil instead.
- Exfoliation is next and should only be done weekly or at most every 3 days to get rid of all those pesky dead skin cells. The best part about this step is that you do not need a fancy cleaner. You can simply use a small amount of baking soda and water to cleanse.
- The next step is to steam your face; boil a pot of water, remove from heat and hover a safe distance above. An alternative is to place a warm washcloth on your face. Some skin types may not respond as positively to steaming, so if you have rosacea, eczema or dry skin, skip this step.
- A mask is next. Your skin-type will determine your mask type so if you have dry skin, try using a clay-mask. Oily skin should use a cream-based mask. If you do not have a mask readily available, just open the fridge and make one! Our favorite is the oatmeal mask; Place1/3 cup of oatmeal into 1/5 cup of boiling water and wait until it settles and cools. Add in 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons honey, and one small egg white. Apply a thin layer to your face and time yourself for 15 minutes then rinse, using cool water to help close the pores.
- You can then tone the skin. This step closes the pores and sets the skin for the final step of moisturizer. Whether you buy toner or make your own, pat it on, never rub it into your skin because we do not want to irritate your face. Moisturizers require some careful thought. If you are worried about breakouts and/or redness, look for oil-free face lotion. Keep in mind that this step is the most important, so ensure you do not skip it.
Acquiring lovely skin is quite the process. If you are not achieving the results you want as quickly as you want, come visit Bare Envy. We have a wide range of services that are great for reducing skin imperfections. Here are the best for breakouts:
- Hollywood Facial: Also known as the Carbon Peel or Baby Doll Facial, this amazing service combines exfoliation and toning. The facial reduces pore size and heals acne while destroying excess oil. It is highly recommended for those who have oily skin, blackheads, dull skin and large pores.
- Clear Lift Skin Resurfacing Treatments: Intended for all skin types, this treatment is a reliable and effective way of correcting skin’s imperfections. This laser skin resurfacing can treat acne scars and restore skin health for a more youthful and radiant glow.